Use Canvas to Form Your Own Writing Groups
How do you create your own online canvas Student Writing Group? Click this sentence for the tech instructions.
General Advice for Forming a Helpful Writing Group
Excellent practical advice on how to benefit from a writing group can be found in Paul Silvia's How to Write A Lot, but the best benefits come from a group that is willing to listen to its members and a solid goal the group agrees on.
Groups can help you in practical (editing) and psychological (encouragement) ways. Agree with your group on what your goals (long and short term) will be. Check in regularly. Make sure you group sticks to its goal or agrees to a change.
Click this sentence for an article about online writing groups. In it, Billie Hara claims that writing groups can:
- help keep you accountable to your writing goals
- read drafts of your work and provide feedback (critics)
- provide emotional support (cheerleaders)
- foster relationships (within or between disciplines)
- help stave off inertia
- keep procrastination under control*
Hara qualifies this last benefit--(*)your group is only as good as you make it!